Sunday, January 20, 2008

PPers are the greatest people on Earth

It's true...they're just the greatest thing since sliced bread!

This semester, we wanted to make life easier for all of the PPers. We know how busy they all are. We know they are stretched for time.

So, there will be fewer required assignments and more optional ones.

Yet, if this IM week is any indication, lots of PPers are taking the time to play more and are doing the optional assignments. There were lots of little MeeboMe widgets smiling away at me when I read the blogs. I'm so very impressed!

And, as always, I'm impressed about the number of things they've got me thinking about. Here's a couple of examples:

  • Is IM service just reinforcing the "instant gratification" need that seems to be pervasive today? Or is it a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" sort of service that we should have to help people who might not use the library another way?
  • One of the PPers has been IMing since she was 13 (I know!! It made me feel old, too!). New, younger staff are going to come in with different technology experiences than existing staff. What impact will this have on services and education needs?

No comments: